Located in the southern end of the town of Point Pleasant (#1 Main St.), the four-acre Tu-Endie-Wei State Park commemorates the 1774 engagement. The park's centerpiece is an 84-foot granite obelisk that honors the Virginia militiamen who gave their lives during the battle, while the statue of a frontiersman stands at the base. Smaller memorial tablets in the park are dedicated to Cornstalk and to "Mad" Anne Bailey whose "mad" exploits in thwarting the Indians earned her the nickname, after her first husband, Richard Trotter, was killed in the battle. Another interesting marker rests on the spot where Pierre Joseph de Celoron de Blainville, A French explorer, buried a leaden plate in 1749, claiming the land for his country.
Located on the park is the Mansion House. Erected in 1796 by Walter Newman as a tavern, it is the oldest, hewn log house in the Kanawha Valley. Preserved as a museum, it features displays of antiques and heirlooms of the era, including a large square piano believed to be one of the first brought over the Alleghenies. Two bedrooms are furnished with authentic four-poster beds that are more than 150 years old.
The Colonel Charles Lewis Chapter, N.S. Daughters of the American Revolution, maintains the Mansion House Museum and uses it for a chapter house as well.
Tu-Endie-Wei State Park is open year-round.
Mon-Sat 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sun 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The mansion/house open season concluded October 9, 2016. The park grounds are open for day-use and outdoor enjoyment.
Souvenirs are available at Tu-Endie-Wei State Park in the museum gift area. To see some of our selection, click here.